Stevenage restaurant shut down over hygiene standard

The Maharajah

The Maharajah - Credit: Archant

An Indian restaurant has been closed after inspectors discovered it was infested with cockroaches.

The Maharajah, based in Stevenage High Street, was visited by Stevenage Council officers on September 13. They have now issued a Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Order under the Food Hygiene Regulations Act 2006, preventing the business from operating.

The premise will now remain closed until officers are satisfied the infestation has been put under control and is no longer a risk to the public.

Cllr Richard Henry said: “This is aserious and shocking case of a food business owner failing to meet the basic health and safety standards for their customers.”

Inspectors found cockroaches in food equipment, takeaway food packaging, above food preparation surfaces and in open containers of food.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter