Stevenage resident chosen from hundreds for two-month charity placement
A RESIDENT of Comet country has been chosen from more than 1,100 entries for a two-month work placement with her favourite charity. Annette Gaykema, 26, of Haycroft Road in Stevenage, has chosen to work as a project assistant for the UK National Inventory
A RESIDENT of Comet country has been chosen from more than 1,100 entries for a two-month work placement with her favourite charity.
Annette Gaykema, 26, of Haycroft Road in Stevenage, has chosen to work as a project assistant for the UK National Inventory of War Memorials after she won a place on the Vodafone Foundation's first World of Difference UK programme.
The programme gives 500 people from across the UK the opportunity to work for a charity of their choice, with a wage paid by the Vodafone Foundation.
Annette first became interested in the UK National Inventory of War Memorials - a charity which catalogues war memorials and provides a detailed listing on its website to help commemorate people who have died in various conflicts - after she completed a full-time voluntary placement in 2009.
You may also want to watch:
Annette, who begins her placement this month, said: "I'm so excited I can continue the work I did for my voluntary internship. The charity only has two paid staff members so I will really be making a difference to them."
For more information about the World of Difference UK programme, visit www.vodafone.co.uk/worldofdifference
- 1 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
- 2 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 3 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 4 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 5 Bomb squad attends residential street in Letchworth
- 6 Proposed 5G mast labelled 'monstrosity' by objecting residents and councillors
- 7 From Doctor Foster to Midsomer Murders... North Herts on screen in these BritBox series
- 8 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 9 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 10 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats