Stevenage RAF reservist among last out of Afghanistan
- Credit: Archant
A soldier has spoken of his experience working Afghanistan’s Camp Bastion before his return home.
Kevin Smith, 32, of Chells Way in Stevenage, is a reserve member of the RAF’s tactical police squadron.
He is coming back to the UK this month after two months of service.
The father of two, who underwent most of his training at the RAF base in Henlow, will return to his job at Glaxo Smith Kline in Ware developing medicines to treat HIV and cancer.
He said: “I have been on the squadron for just over three years now and I am proud to serve. This deployment is the culmination of months of training, hard work and preparation. I am lucky in that I have the support of my GSK management, my wife Lydia and children Samuel and Sophie.
You may also want to watch:
“I have had an interest in the RAF police since I was a cadet, but my life has lead me down a different path. Joining the reserves has enabled me to experience life in the military, the challenges it creates and the rewards it delivers. I am enjoying the experience, but remain focussed on why we are here and the importance of our role. We will be amongst the last troops to leave Helmand Province and as the drawdown continues, living and working conditions will become austere. This in itself is quite exciting to me, as I relish a challenge and thrive on pressure.”
*The RAF Henlow Aero Club (RAFHAC) is hosting a flying competition day for the RAF Flying Club Association (RAFFCA) on Saturday.
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Shop employee shaken after knifepoint robbery
- 3 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 4 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 5 Arsonist jailed for 10 years after setting 'terrifying' house fire
- 6 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 7 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 8 Boy, 13, subjected to distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 9 Bedfordshire schools mark move to two-tier system
- 10 Herts Cladiators take part in London rally against 'terrible injustice'
The event will feature flying displays, flour bombing, balloon bursting, spot landing, limbo and flying aerobatics. However please note the event is by invite only.