Stevenage RAF reservist among last out of Afghanistan
- Credit: Archant
A soldier has spoken of his experience working Afghanistan’s Camp Bastion before his return home.
Kevin Smith, 32, of Chells Way in Stevenage, is a reserve member of the RAF’s tactical police squadron.
He is coming back to the UK this month after two months of service.
The father of two, who underwent most of his training at the RAF base in Henlow, will return to his job at Glaxo Smith Kline in Ware developing medicines to treat HIV and cancer.
He said: “I have been on the squadron for just over three years now and I am proud to serve. This deployment is the culmination of months of training, hard work and preparation. I am lucky in that I have the support of my GSK management, my wife Lydia and children Samuel and Sophie.
“I have had an interest in the RAF police since I was a cadet, but my life has lead me down a different path. Joining the reserves has enabled me to experience life in the military, the challenges it creates and the rewards it delivers. I am enjoying the experience, but remain focussed on why we are here and the importance of our role. We will be amongst the last troops to leave Helmand Province and as the drawdown continues, living and working conditions will become austere. This in itself is quite exciting to me, as I relish a challenge and thrive on pressure.”
*The RAF Henlow Aero Club (RAFHAC) is hosting a flying competition day for the RAF Flying Club Association (RAFFCA) on Saturday.
- 1 Rising costs see refill store in Letchworth close for good
- 2 Two men from North Herts wanted by police for failing to attend court
- 3 Apply for free tickets to see new season of The Masked Singer being filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Family's car window smashed in overnight criminal damage
- 5 Missing 16-year-old from Letchworth found 'safe and well'
- 6 Tesco and Aldi among supermarkets issuing 'do not eat' warnings
- 7 Stevenage boss won't paper over the cracks despite victory away to Crawley
- 8 Baldock Charter Fair returns this week!
- 9 Starry-eyed Letchworth students meet Britain’s first astronaut
- 10 Celebrating 50 years of Stevenage's Fairlands Valley Park
The event will feature flying displays, flour bombing, balloon bursting, spot landing, limbo and flying aerobatics. However please note the event is by invite only.