Stevenage pub evacuated in fire drama
PUNTERS in a packed pub who were enjoying Christmas drinks had to be evacuated after a fire broke out on the premises.
Two fire engines from Stevenage were called to Wetherspoons’ The Standing Order in the Old Town just before 11pm on Christmas Eve, following reports that a fireplace had caught light.
Revellers were escorted out into the cold via the back entrance and told to finish their drinks as smoke fumes filled the High Street pub, which shut for the evening as a result of the blaze.
The fire services believe the cause was accidental and had dealt with the fire by 11.30pm.
The pub was due to stay open until 1am for one of the busiest nights out of the year, but had to close over one-and-a-half hours earlier than planned as a result of the incident.
Gemma Wells, of Stevenage, who was in the pub at the time, said: “I was just having drinks with my friends when I noticed that I could smell smoke.
“The fire alarms went off and next thing I knew we were being escorted out with drinks in hand.
- 1 Person dies after being hit by train between Hatfield and Finsbury Park
- 2 Four vehicles crash on A602 near Stevenage
- 3 Stevenage's Forster Country: 'Secret plans' for car park and toilet block
- 4 Recap: Person 'hit by a train' between Welwyn Garden City and London
- 5 Woman's purse 'stolen' outside Stevenage Tesco
- 6 Beauty products worth 'thousands of pounds' stolen from Hitchin Sainsbury's
- 7 Apply for free tickets to see new season of The Masked Singer being filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 All the Thameslink routes which will run during the early October strike
- 9 Man who exposed Jimmy Savile reveals work on another paedophile case
- 10 Wednesday rail strike action to hit commuter lines in Herts and Essex
“It put a real damper on the evening.”
A spokesman for Wetherspoons said: “There were no flames as it was between the back of the fireplace and the wooden frame but it was glowing and had heated up somehow.
“I think it was just some freak thing that happened and fortunately no one was hurt.
The spokesman added: “We were only open until 1am so it has not had a big impact on revenue and we opened the next day as usual.
“The fireplace is currently being looked at.”