Stevenage Post Office set to close and ‘move in’ with nearby retailer
- Credit: Archant
Stevenage Post Office will close and move into the town’s branch of WHSmith this September if new plans get the go ahead.
The proposals would see the Post Office move from its current home in Westgate Shopping Centre to the WHSmith branch in Queensway.
Thousands of UK post offices have been moved to shops and supermarkets across the UK in recent years as the firm seeks to reshape its operation and make it more cost effective.
The Post Office says existing staff would move to the new site and opening times will remain the same.
A six-week consultation on the move will open tomorrow.
You may also want to watch:
Post Office general manager Roger Gale said: “We are committed to keeping our services on the high street which we know is hugely important to people. This proposal means we can continue to do that, into the future.
“Our customers will be offered the same range of services.
- 1 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 2 A602 remains partially shut in Stevenage after crash
- 3 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 4 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 5 Stevenage schoolboy wins national chef award
- 6 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 7 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 8 Special needs school's urgent appeal for swim helpers
- 9 Armed Forces Day 2021: Great day promised with pop-up museum and Spitfire fly-past
- 10 Stevenage Borough Juniors crowned national champions after tense victory
“Our collaboration with WHSmith helps secure the long-term viability of services for local customers.
“We are making sure we take the right course of action to sustain services for years to come. We must adapt to the changing needs of our customers, who want a convenient and flexible choice of when and how they do business with us – whether that is face to face, on the web or through new initiatives such as self-service kiosks.”
The new branch would have five serving positions – one screened off and four open-plan counters – and three self-service desks.
The consultation ends on June 5.
Comments can be made at www.postofficeviews.co.uk, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by phoning 03457 223344.