Stevenage policeman nominated for national award after launching program that helped vulnerable elderly people
- Credit: Archant
A Stevenage police sergeant who focused on helping vulnerable elderly people in the community has been nominated for a national award.
Jim Moatt, who has led the North Stevenage Safer Neighbourhood Team since 2005, has been shortlisted for the National Personal Safety Awards 2014 for his proactive work engaging with the community.
Jim has adapted the ‘street meet’ style of community engagement by adding in vulnerable people, especially the elderly, and created the ‘Silver Street Meets’.
The meets lasts for around two hours, with refreshments provided for the residents to promote an informal environment and aim to empower older people with the knowledge and tools to keep themselves safe.
Simon Tabert, safer neighbourhood inspector, said: “Jim is an outstanding officer, and this is deserved recognition for the consistent and creative service he has provided to the community of Stevenage over the last seven years.”
You may also want to watch:
There have been six sessions so far attended by more than 150 older people in the town and they have now expanded the model to target families with children under five years. These sessions are held at local children’s centres, and include domestic abuse advice about how to get help in this situation.
The winners will be announced at the awards ceremony in central London on October 13.
- 1 Arrests made after assault leaves victim with lacerations to the head
- 2 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 3 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 Custodial sentence 'sends strong message' to those carrying knives
- 6 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 7 Hitchin Beer and Cider Festival in pictures
- 8 Ambulance called to crash between motorcycle and van in Stevenage
- 9 Hospice volunteers mark Churchgate Day on the catwalk with vintage fashion show
- 10 You Me At Six to play headline show at Hatfield's Slam Dunk Festival site