Stevenage police officer jailed over on-the-spot fines
- Credit: Archant
A former police officer has been jailed for a year for taking cash from speeding motorists and issuing on-the-spot fines.
Irfan Hussain, 35, formerly of Canterbury Way, Stevenage, was sentenced to a year in prison at Luton Crown Court yesterday (Monday).
The court heard how Hussain stopped speeding motorists and demanded they make £30 cash payments to him directly in August last year.
He had pleaded guilty to one count of misconduct in public office, three counts of fraud and three counts of perverting the course of justice.
Hussain had been a police officer with Hertfordshire Constabulary for 10 years before committing the crimes. He was dismissed from his post as a result of the allegations.
You may also want to watch:
Deputy Chief Constable Alison Roome-Gifford said: “Irfan Hussain failed to live up to the high standard of conduct expected of all staff who serve with Hertfordshire Constabulary and has now been imprisoned for his disgraceful conduct.
“The public rightly expects police officers to act with integrity at all times and for action to be taken when they do not. Irfan Hussain was arrested as a result of an investigation led by the force’s own Professional Standards Department following direct contact from the public. This officer betrayed the trust placed in him by the public and his colleagues and now is living with the consequences.”
- 1 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 2 Lamb dies after livestock worrying offences in villages
- 3 Assault in Baldock leaves man with cracked eye socket
- 4 Teenager left shaken after robbery in Hitchin
- 5 Restaurant's plans 'will add interest' to streetscene
- 6 9 ways to stay safe while enjoying Stevenage town centre
- 7 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 8 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 9 Stevenage scientist's award for role in new HIV drugs
- 10 Underpass graffiti celebrating Stevenage unveiled