Stevenage pensioner avoids £15,000 scam thanks to Neighbourhood Watch
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
A Stevenage pensioner was close to sending £15,000 of his life savings to a con artist pretending to be from his bank – but thought twice after seeing a Neighbourhood Watch email warning him about the scam.
The man was so impressed with Neighbourhood Watch – who regularly send out email updates about local crimes, advice about scams and information about police events – that he came into Stevenage Police Station to thank officers personally.
“It’s very easy to fall victim to these types of scams,” said Watch Liaison Officer Verity Soued.
““The fraudsters are very convincing and they prey on vulnerable and elderly members of our communities.
“Luckily, in this case, the man had recently seen the message warning residents about the telephone scam where fraudsters pretend to be from your bank and tell you that your account details have been compromised. Realising he was being conned, he put the phone down and contacted police.”
You may also want to watch:
She added: “Neighbourhood Watch is all about alerting, informing and advising residents as well as asking for their help in tracing missing people or letting us know information about crime, especially burglaries and vehicle crime in their local area.”
If you’d like to get involved, it’s simple to join up. Register at owl.co.uk or speak to your local PCSO to receive emails about crime in your local area.
- 1 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
- 2 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 3 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 4 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 5 Proposed 5G mast labelled 'monstrosity' by objecting residents and councillors
- 6 Bomb squad attends residential street in Letchworth
- 7 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 8 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 9 The hidden history of Hitchin's disappeared pubs
- 10 App launched to promote shopping at local businesses