Will Stevenage park win UK’s Best Park Award 2019?
- Credit: Brendan Falvey
Fairlands Valley Park has been nominated for the title of UK’s best park in a national charity competition.
More than 360 parks and green spaces across the country have been nomianated, but residents from Stevenage can now vote to make sure theirs is crowned the UK's number one.
Organised by Fields in Trust - a green space charity - the UK's Best Park Award recognises the role that parks play in our communities and bringing people together.
The charity is concerned that public sector cuts are leading to more pressure on green spaces, putting them under threat and at risk of being lost to development or decline and disappearance.
Helen Griffiths, Fields in Trust's chief executive, said: "We are delighted to see a record number of nominations for the UK's Best Park award.
You may also want to watch:
"Our parks and green spaces are a vital part of UK community infrastructure.
"Fields in Trust is committed to protecting these valuable and much-loved parks and green spaces for future generations to enjoy."
Voting opened on Saturday, and the public can have their say here until Monday, August 19.
- 1 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
- 2 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 3 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 4 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 5 Proposed 5G mast labelled 'monstrosity' by objecting residents and councillors
- 6 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 7 Bomb squad attends residential street in Letchworth
- 8 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 9 App launched to promote shopping at local businesses
- 10 The hidden history of Hitchin's disappeared pubs