Stevenage takeaway pledges 5,000 free hot meals for NHS staff
- Credit: Archant
A takeaway in Stevenage is aiming to deliver thousands of free hot meals to NHS staff during the coronavirus pandemic.
Surma Takeaway, in the Old Town, aims to deliver over 5,000 Indian and Bangladeshi curries during the pandemic, to all frontline staff at Lister Hospital and the New QE2 in Welwyn Garden City.
Oli Khan, internationally acclaimed chef at Surma, said he feels “privileged” to be able to “continue supporting NHS staff” in this way.
Surma’s hot meals have been particularly welcomed at the New QE2, with the canteen for independent staff now closed due to coronavirus.
Geraldine Strohm, president of Stevenage Rotary, said: “We are only too pleased to help one of our Stevenage Rotary Members, Oli Khan, deliver meals to staff at the Lister Hospital.
You may also want to watch:
“He has always been very generous, both with his time and his tasty food – even going out of his way lately to make an enormous, Guinness World Record Breaking Onion Bhaji!
“It’s times like these and others, when Rotarians leap into action to help our communities.”
- 1 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 2 Stevenage nursing home celebrates Pride
- 3 Tottenham test for Stevenage after draw for Papa John's Trophy
- 4 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 5 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 6 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 7 Stevenage get big derby clash in first round of Carabao Cup
- 8 Cancelled school trip to red list Peru sees some students losing £2,250
- 9 Poppy Fletcher makes history by signing for Stevenage women
- 10 79-year-old pens autobiography inspired by move to Hitchin care home
Surma has a five start hygiene rating, and all necessary precautions are taken in accordance with current food hygiene regulations.
Nick Carver, Chief Executive of East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust, said: “We have been overwhelmed by the generosity of both individuals and businesses in our community, who continue to send messages of support, and offers of goods and services.
“On behalf of our staff, I wish to thank you all for your support – it means so much in these unprecedented times to know you are behind us.”
If a member of the public or a businesses would like to make a donation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01438 285182.
A member of the East and North Hertfordshire Hospitals’ Charity team will be in touch.