Stevenage named among best - and most affordable - commuter towns
- Credit: DANNY LOO
Stevenage has been named as one of the best London commuter areas in a new countdown.
The town came seventh in Yopa's 2020 London Commuter Guide, which identifies the most affordable and accessible places to live based on a range of economic and quality of life metrics.
Hertfordshire did well across the board, with St Albans securing first place, while Hitchin was tenth.
Jonathan Moss, South East regional director at Yopa, said the guide was designed to help homeowners easily compare different areas outside the M25.
He added: "The 2020 guide takes into account common worries such as transport costs, crime rates, commute times, pollution levels and more. We urge sellers to take a look to see how they can enjoy the best of both worlds - city working and country living."
You may also want to watch:
This isn't the only such list to feature Stevenage: the SG1 postcode came eighth in Zoopla's countdown of the most affordable commuter towns within an hour's travel time of the capital.
Zoopla based its findings on the combined cost of a season ticket and annual average mortgage repayments across a number of local authority areas surrounding London.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 A602 remains partially shut in Stevenage after crash
- 3 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 4 Police officer's 'text book first aid' saves life of elderly man
- 5 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 6 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 7 Help transform overgrown land into outdoor classroom
- 8 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 9 Stevenage schoolboy wins national chef award
- 10 Rotheram shines on dreary day as Datchworth dump Dunstable
Following a 2.7 per cent fare increase for 2020, Stevenage commuters now pay £3,964 for their season tickets.
Combined with average annual mortgage repayments of £12,288 and a typical 36-minute commute, the town offers one of the best value journeys into the capital.
Grays in Essex topped the affordability list, followed by Leagrave in Bedfordshire.