Stevenage musician turned YouTube sensation wins Urban Music Award’s Best Newcomer
- Credit: Archant
A musician from Stevenage has won Best Newcomer at the 13th annual Urban Music Awards in London.
Kelvin Jones, 20, took the award after his YouTube channel amassed more than three million views from uploaded footage of original material and covers to the video sharing website.
With self-penned songs including Call You Home, Closer, and Wait For You, Kelvin has captured the hearts of the public – who voted for him to win the award.
He said: “It was completely unexpected. I feel like it’s a badge of honour, but also something I now have to work to prove I deserved.”
Kelvin moved to Stevenage from Zimbabwe 11 years ago and attended The Nobel School, before moving to The John Henry Newman School as a sixth form student.
He started studying civil engineering at Portsmouth University but dropped out to pursue a full-time career in music.
Kelvin said: “Since leaving university I’ve been pretty busy. I signed with Sony and wrote my album – Stop The Moment – which I recorded in Berlin in February.
- 1 Emergency services called to medical episode at Stevenage Cineworld
- 2 Meet Izabela: The inspiring Stevenage baker with MS
- 3 All the Thameslink routes which will run during the early October strike
- 4 Letchworth pond tested and fish removed after animals found dead
- 5 Council plea fails to stop Stevenage Charter Fair goldfish prizes
- 6 Multiple homes burgled in Letchworth
- 7 October 1 strikes: A complete guide to trains in Hertfordshire
- 8 Have your say on plans to redevelop The Forum in Stevenage
- 9 Felled weeping willow to be replaced in Hitchin churchyard
- 10 Stevenage Railway Station: Normal train service resumes after major repairs
“Right now I’m on a three-week tour with a German artist called Mark Forster. After this, I hope to start playing some more shows in England and, soon enough, be releasing my album in the UK.”
Kelvin, who has been playing guitar for about five years but singing since he was a small child, says his influences include BB King and John Mayer.
Visit www.kelvinjonesofficial.com for more information.