Stevenage murder trial adjourned
- Credit: Archant
A MURDER case was today (Monday) put on hold on the day it was due to start – because there was not enough time to hear it.
Jack Wall, 22, had been set to stand trial charged with killing his former girlfriend, 19-year-old Amelia Arnold, who he lived with at their home in Hadrians Walk, Stevenage.
Her body was found buried in woodland in Travellers Lane, Hatfield, on November 11, but it is thought she died on or around November 8.
After lengthy legal discussions at Luton Crown Court this morning, the case was adjourned until July 1.
The trial had been listed to last six days, but the court heard it would take much longer to conclude.
You may also want to watch:
Jane Bickerstaff QC, prosecuting, said: “This matter is in the court list for trial, but what’s now clear as the issues in the case are crystalised is that this is a two-week case, easily, rather than the six or seven days that was anticipated.”
Ruling there was “not enough time” to hear the case, Ms Bickerstaff said a fresh date for a two-week trial had been found in July.
- 1 Closure order for Hitchin bungalow following anti-social behaviour
- 2 Why grass in Stevenage and North Herts public areas isn't cut
- 3 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 4 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 5 'Music legends' Aswad impress at LGC Live event in town centre
- 6 New mental health unit earmarked for Stevenage
- 7 Some bus services set to change to 'build on great network'
- 8 Two people taken to hospital with serious injuries after Clothall Road crash
- 9 A family affair and club history make it a special day for Letchworth
- 10 Officers investigating vehicle interferences urge victims to come forward
Judge Richard Foster agreed, stating: “It’s quite clear in the time allowed for this case that it just wasn’t possible.”
Mr Wall denies murder, but has previously admitted burying Miss Arnold’s body.
Dressed in a navy sweatshirt and dark trousers, Wall spoke only to confirm his name.