Stevenage mum to share her incurable eye cancer story ahead of Race for Life run
- Credit: Archant
Race for Life returns to Stevenage today, Sunday, with about 3,000 women expected to take part.
The annual fun run for Cancer Research UK hopes to raise thousands of pounds for the charity as women complete either a 5k or 10k course around Fairlands Valley Park.
Among those heading to the start line for 11am is Kelly Luff, of Admiral Drive in Stevenage, who was diagnosed earlier this year with ocular melanoma – an incurable eye cancer.
The 35-year-old had her eye assessed at Vision Express in Stevenage town centre and was then referred to Lister Hospital for tests.
She has since been receiving treatment from specialists at Moorfields Eye Hospital in London, including radiotherapy to tackle the tumour.
Following her diagnosis, Kelly, who is a student at the University of Hertfordshire, has been raising awareness of her condition and will be sharing her story with runners on the day prior to racing alongside her daughter, Trixabelle.
“I hope that by sharing my story with all the runners at this year’s Race for Life, my words may encourage some of the audience to go for that eye test they have been putting off,” said the mother-of-four.
- 1 Stevenage doctor 'filled with pride' after taking home national award
- 2 Pupil wins competition to name community space at former bus station
- 3 Stevenage's Forster Country: 'Secret plans' for car park and toilet block
- 4 Residents report 30 ambulances queuing at Lister A&E
- 5 Patrols to be increased following alleged arson in Letchworth park
- 6 Nissan Qashqai damaged during Letchworth 'vandalism'
- 7 All the Thameslink routes which will run during the early October strike
- 8 Delight from the boss for two-goal Stevenage hero Luke Norris
- 9 Norris at the double as Boro cruise to another home win
- 10 Four vehicles crash on A602 near Stevenage
“I have 30 people in total running the race for OcuMel, an amazing eye charity that has supported me though out my diagnosis and treatment.”
Kelly will also be cheered on by sons, Sam, Louie and Buddy during today’s race.
To sponsor her visit http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/kellyseye
• If you are taking part in Stevenage’s Race for Life or will be supporting loved ones send your pictures to email@example.com or tweet @thecomet24