Stevenage mum raises thousands for life-saving baby unit
- Credit: Archant
A MUM has raised more than £5,000 for babies in a special care unit after her nephew received life-saving treatment there.
Maria Hastings, a mum-of-two from Stevenage, held a charity ball at the Ramada Cromwell in the Old Town and raised £5133.71 for the Special Care Baby Unit at Lister Hospital.
She presented a cheque to staff at the unit last week, and the money will be used by the East and North Herts Hospitals Charity to buy a vapotherm – a respiratory machine to support babies with their breathing.
Maria said she felt compelled to raise money for the unit after her nephew was cared for there in August 2011.
The 32-year-old said: “After my nephew Bradley was given a chance of life at the Special Care Baby Unit, I felt motivated and passionate in raising at least £5,000 to supply more life-saving equipment so they can continue saving more babies every day.”
You may also want to watch:
For more information about the East and North Herts Hospitals Charity, call the team on 01438 285182, email email@example.com or visit www.enherts-tr.nhs.uk
- 1 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 5 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 6 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 7 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 8 Freedom Day: Events to go ahead but hospitality will be affected, says BID manager
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Survivors Against Domestic Abuse opens 23rd safe space as demand for services rises