Stevenage mum raises thousands for life-saving baby unit
- Credit: Archant
A MUM has raised more than £5,000 for babies in a special care unit after her nephew received life-saving treatment there.
Maria Hastings, a mum-of-two from Stevenage, held a charity ball at the Ramada Cromwell in the Old Town and raised £5133.71 for the Special Care Baby Unit at Lister Hospital.
She presented a cheque to staff at the unit last week, and the money will be used by the East and North Herts Hospitals Charity to buy a vapotherm – a respiratory machine to support babies with their breathing.
Maria said she felt compelled to raise money for the unit after her nephew was cared for there in August 2011.
The 32-year-old said: “After my nephew Bradley was given a chance of life at the Special Care Baby Unit, I felt motivated and passionate in raising at least £5,000 to supply more life-saving equipment so they can continue saving more babies every day.”
You may also want to watch:
For more information about the East and North Herts Hospitals Charity, call the team on 01438 285182, email email@example.com or visit www.enherts-tr.nhs.uk
- 1 Missing veteran John Dick found dead after 10-month disappearance
- 2 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 3 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 Custodial sentence 'sends strong message' to those carrying knives
- 6 Arrests made after assault leaves victim with lacerations to the head
- 7 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 8 One-of-a-kind children's book shop opening in town centre
- 9 Hitchin Beer and Cider Festival in pictures
- 10 Ambulance called to crash between motorcycle and van in Stevenage