Stevenage mum sheds half her body weight in remarkable transformation
- Credit: Tracy Copping
A Stevenage mum has won a slimming award after losing half her body weight in under 12 months.
Danielle O'Donoghue lost a life-changing 8st 6lbs to win Slimming World's 'Club 50' Award - celebrating slimmers who have lost 50 per cent of their body mass.
The 35-year-old was referred to a slimming group by her GP in September 2018, after seeing her weight balloon to 16st 6lbs.
Today, Danielle weighs in at just over 8st, and has plummeted from a size 24 to size 6.
"I'm so proud to win this award," she said. "I feel like a new woman since losing weight - in fact, I look so different that people who I haven't seen me for a while often can't believe I'm the same person.
You may also want to watch:
"It's the change on the inside that's been the greatest - I'm happier, healthier and much more confident now."
Danielle joined the Timebridge Slimming World group last year, and said that "walking through the doors was one of the hardest things I've ever done".
- 1 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 6 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 7 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 8 Freedom Day: Events to go ahead but hospitality will be affected, says BID manager
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Survivors Against Domestic Abuse opens 23rd safe space as demand for services rises
"I've been overweight since my teens and having my first child," said Danielle.
"I was embarrassed about my size and scared that I might be the biggest person there.
"Everyone was so friendly and I was so relieved when I found out that my weight was confidential between me and my leader - I'd had visions of having to tell everyone how much I weighed!
"It impacted on so many aspects of my life, from struggling to find clothes that I like that fit, to not being able to do simple everyday tasks without feeling tired and out of breath.
"Before I lost weight, I hated having my photo taken and whenever I saw pictures of myself, I didn't feel like my smile was real. This is a change I've made for life and I have the tools I need to stay like this forever - my smile is definitely real!"
The 35-year-old is now a keen runner, having completed the 13.1-mile Great North Run last month, and is in training for the Manchester Marathon in April 2020.
Tracy Copping, who runs the Timebridge and Poplars Slimming World groups, said: "The changes we have seen in Danielle are incredible.
"I hope her success will inspire other people who'd like to lose weight forming new lifestyle habits become happier and healthier."