Stevenage fishing match raises vital funds for Essex and Herts Air Ambulance
- Credit: Archant
A 24-hour fundraising fishing match has raised £1,120 for the Essex and Herts Air Ambulance.
Carping4Charity Stevenage combines a group’s love of fishing with the opportunity to help different charities, and the annual fishing match was held at Fairlands Valley Park’s fishing lake in the town.
The group’s chairman, Mark Clifford-Smith, said: “We managed to raise a big total of £1,120. One of our young fishermen, Mark Wells, who sacrificed a school trip just to help out, raised £90 from school - well done Mark, we are very proud of you.
“We would also like to thank our Stevenage MP, Stephen McPartland, for supporting us at our yearly match.
“We hope everyone enjoyed themselves and didn’t get too sunburnt!”
Mr McPartland said: “It is always great fun and it’s amazing how much effort goes into this event. It shows the real community spirit at the heart of our town.”
- 1 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with lavish launch event
- 2 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 3 Serious collision on A602 injures four
- 4 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 5 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 6 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 7 When to see The Geminids - one of the best meteor showers of the year
- 8 Care home excited to open its doors to new residents
- 9 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 10 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000