Stevenage MP repays more than �30,000 of expenses claimed
MP for Stevenage, Barbara Follett, has repaid �32,976 in expenses money claimed – one of the largest single sums repaid by any MP so far. The repayment figures were published by the Commons Members Estimate Committee yesterday (Thursday). Mrs Follett deci
MP for Stevenage, Barbara Follett, has repaid �32,976 in expenses money claimed - one of the largest single sums repaid by any MP so far.
The repayment figures were published by the Commons Members Estimate Committee yesterday (Thursday).
Mrs Follett decided to repay �25,411 for security patrols at her second home in London, as well as unpublished claims for 2008/09, after considering letters from her constituents.
She told national media: "The Fees Office did not ask me to do this, nor did they feel that it was necessary for me to do this. But some of my constituents, whose opinion I value and respect, did."
You may also want to watch:
She added: "I felt that the only way to make it quite clear that I have never wanted to profit in any way at all from my role as their MP was to pay these particular expenses back.
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 8 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 9 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation