Stevenage MP repays more than �30,000 of expenses claimed
MP for Stevenage, Barbara Follett, has repaid �32,976 in expenses money claimed – one of the largest single sums repaid by any MP so far. The repayment figures were published by the Commons Members Estimate Committee yesterday (Thursday). Mrs Follett deci
MP for Stevenage, Barbara Follett, has repaid �32,976 in expenses money claimed - one of the largest single sums repaid by any MP so far.
The repayment figures were published by the Commons Members Estimate Committee yesterday (Thursday).
Mrs Follett decided to repay �25,411 for security patrols at her second home in London, as well as unpublished claims for 2008/09, after considering letters from her constituents.
She told national media: "The Fees Office did not ask me to do this, nor did they feel that it was necessary for me to do this. But some of my constituents, whose opinion I value and respect, did."
You may also want to watch:
She added: "I felt that the only way to make it quite clear that I have never wanted to profit in any way at all from my role as their MP was to pay these particular expenses back.
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Shop employee shaken after knifepoint robbery
- 3 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 4 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 5 Arsonist jailed for 10 years after setting 'terrifying' house fire
- 6 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 7 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 8 Boy, 13, subjected to distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 9 Bedfordshire schools mark move to two-tier system
- 10 Herts Cladiators take part in London rally against 'terrible injustice'