Stevenage MP announces “fantastic news” for radiotherapy campaign
THE MP for Stevenage has revealed today (Friday) that the campaign for a radiotherapy unit at Lister has “moved another step closer”, after it was announced that NHS Hertfordshire intends to formally approach East and North Herts Trust about the plans.
MP Stephen McParland launched the campaign to set up a satellite radiotherapy unit alongside The Comet in August and the Facebook group has already attracted more than 1,000 people who are supporting the cause.
Of the latest progress, Mr McPartland said: “The campaign for a new radiotherapy unit at Lister Hospital has reached the first successful stage and I am delighted that after a meeting with the chief executive of NHS Hertfordshire at the end of last week, we have moved another step closer to making our dream a reality, as they will now begin the formal process that could lead to a satellite radiotherapy unit being based at Lister Hospital.
“In the discussion it became clear that there has been long interest in setting up a satellite radiotherapy unit to reduce the number of local people having to travel long distances to get access to this treatment.
“Local people received a raw deal from the last government when they scrapped plans for a new cancer unit at Hatfield. “However, due to the new government’s changes to NHS procurement rules, they are now in a position to formally approach our local hospital trust about changing the commissioning of existing services to offer better access to radiotherapy services for local patients and their families”.
You may also want to watch:
Mr McPartland added: “This is fantastic news for all those supporting the campaign I am leading with The Comet and it really is important we keep the momentum going.”
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Restaurant's plans 'will add interest' to streetscene
- 3 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 4 Teenager left shaken after robbery in Hitchin
- 5 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 8 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 9 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 10 Do you recognise these people?