Stevenage men in drugs gang jailed for cannabis operation worth up to �2 million
A GANG of cannabis cultivators, featuring two Stevenage men, have been jailed for growing the Class B drug on an industrial scale with the annual yield of their crop estimated to be worth between �973,500 and �2,022,857.
Mark Glencross, 36, was sentenced to three years imprisonment and Desmond Schwartz, 36, received 30 months.
The pair worked with three other men to produce the crop and all five pleaded guilty to offences of conspiracy to produce cannabis and received custodial sentences from Guildford Crown Court on Thursday.
The police operation, code named Operation Tring, was intelligence led and followed an extensive period of surveillance from Surrey Police’s Serious Crime Investigation Team at locations in Hertfordshire, Thames Valley and Cambridgeshire.
The sleuth work led the team to a large warehouse near Cambridgeshire which had been partiality converted to produce cannabis on a large scale.
You may also want to watch:
Around a 40-50m section of the warehouse had been adapted to grow the drug which was filled with rows of plants.
The unit had been equipped with lighting, fans, heaters and air conditioning systems.
- 1 Missing veteran John Dick found dead after 10-month disappearance
- 2 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 3 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 Custodial sentence 'sends strong message' to those carrying knives
- 6 Arrests made after assault leaves victim with lacerations to the head
- 7 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 8 One-of-a-kind children's book shop opening in town centre
- 9 Hitchin Beer and Cider Festival in pictures
- 10 Ambulance called to crash between motorcycle and van in Stevenage
Windows had been blacked out with plastic sheeting and there were containers of chemicals that were being used to cultivate the illegal crop.
Raymond Reid, 57, from Constitution Hill, Woking, Surrey, was jailed for six years.
Christopher Morrison, 27, from Luton, Bedfordshire, was jailed for 27 months and Russell Robinson, 37, from Dunstable, received a custodial term of 16 months.