Stevenage man jailed for jewellers robbery and kidnap
- Credit: Photo supplied
A MAN from Stevenage has been sentenced to six years in prison for robbing a jewellers and kidnapping a member of staff.
Jamie Kalaiarasu, of Archer Road, pleaded guilty to robbery and kidnap at St Albans Crown Court on Friday.
The 22-year-old was part of a gang which admitting stealing thousands of pounds-worth of jewellery in a raid at Loveweds Jewellers in Harpenden High Street in March.
During the robbery a member of staff was forced into a car and had his shop keys taken so the gang could gain access to the goods.
Accomplice Ashley Latimer-Bassill, 24, of Crane Mead in Ware, was also jailed for six years while Daniel Stanley, 24, of Travellers Lane in Hatfield, was sentenced for five years.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Sergeant Carolyn Taylder said: “This was a terrifying ordeal for the victim who was held captive by the group while they stole thousands of pounds-worth of jewellery for their own personal greed.
“It was a pre-planned enterprise however our investigation was fast-moving and some excellent detective work led to three arrests being made within just a few days of the offence taking place.
- 1 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 2 Stevenage nursing home celebrates Pride
- 3 Tottenham test for Stevenage after draw for Papa John's Trophy
- 4 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 5 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 6 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 7 Stevenage get big derby clash in first round of Carabao Cup
- 8 Cancelled school trip to red list Peru sees some students losing £2,250
- 9 Poppy Fletcher makes history by signing for Stevenage women
- 10 79-year-old pens autobiography inspired by move to Hitchin care home
“This result sends out a clear message that robbery will not be tolerated in Hertfordshire. We hope also that the jewellers’ staff and their families can take some comfort from it.”