Stevenage-Luton rail link on the timetable
Herts County Council has backed plans to build a rail link between Stevenage and Luton. The plans, which form part of a wider East-West rail link, are seen by the Herts Highways transport cabinet as a possible missing link in the area s transport syst
Herts County Council has backed plans to build a rail link between Stevenage and Luton.
The plans, which form part of a wider East-West rail link, are seen by the Herts Highways transport cabinet as a possible 'missing link' in the area's transport system which would provide a half-hourly service between the two towns.
The council were responding to five possible options put forward by the East West Rail Consortium (EWRC) - a group of local authorities and interested parties - on new rail links in the corridor between Cambridge and Oxford. All the options would cut out the need of travelling in and out of the capital.
Derrick Ashley, executive member for planning at county hall, said: "It's been a long standing ambition to improve the East-West rail links at the council. The link between Luton and Stevenage is a new idea that could provide the missing link.
"My concern is that anything we do does not impact on the routes in and out of London. And it is not an easy option to build a railway of course - there are a lot environmental issues.
"We are at a very early stage and in this economic climate where the money would even be found is questionable."
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 2 Lights stolen in Baldock burglary
- 3 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 4 Villagers pull together to support boy with life-limiting condition
- 5 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 6 Our sporting stars celebrated with museum exhibition
- 7 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 8 Invitation to Hitchin community garden party!
- 9 Crowds gather to mark Armed Forces Day in Letchworth
- 10 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
The results of the consultation will be considered by the EWRC steering group on April 30.