Stevenage-Luton rail link on the timetable
Herts County Council has backed plans to build a rail link between Stevenage and Luton. The plans, which form part of a wider East-West rail link, are seen by the Herts Highways transport cabinet as a possible missing link in the area s transport syst
Herts County Council has backed plans to build a rail link between Stevenage and Luton.
The plans, which form part of a wider East-West rail link, are seen by the Herts Highways transport cabinet as a possible 'missing link' in the area's transport system which would provide a half-hourly service between the two towns.
The council were responding to five possible options put forward by the East West Rail Consortium (EWRC) - a group of local authorities and interested parties - on new rail links in the corridor between Cambridge and Oxford. All the options would cut out the need of travelling in and out of the capital.
Derrick Ashley, executive member for planning at county hall, said: "It's been a long standing ambition to improve the East-West rail links at the council. The link between Luton and Stevenage is a new idea that could provide the missing link.
You may also want to watch:
"My concern is that anything we do does not impact on the routes in and out of London. And it is not an easy option to build a railway of course - there are a lot environmental issues.
"We are at a very early stage and in this economic climate where the money would even be found is questionable."
- 1 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 2 Teenager left shaken after robbery in Hitchin
- 3 Restaurant's plans 'will add interest' to streetscene
- 4 Lamb dies after livestock worrying offences in villages
- 5 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 6 Assault in Baldock leaves man with cracked eye socket
- 7 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 8 9 ways to stay safe while enjoying Stevenage town centre
- 9 Delta variant makes up more than half of new cases across Herts areas
- 10 Stevenage scientist's award for role in new HIV drugs
The results of the consultation will be considered by the EWRC steering group on April 30.