Stevenage lorry driver’s revealing pose in ebay dress spoof
- Credit: Archant
A LORRY driver has revealed himself on ebay to raise money for charity.
Jamie Deakin was listening to the radio during a night shift when he heard about the misfortune of Aimi Jones, who accidentally posted a picture of herself semi-naked on the auction website.
Miss Jones, 21, had taken a shot of her mustard-colour dress and put it online to sell last week without realising that a mirror reflection showed her in just a bra.
The story attracted worldwide media attention and after Miss Jones reposted the item, the dress reportedly sold for more than £100,000.
Jamie, of Ellis Avenue, Stevenage, said: “Just as I finished work I heard how much the dress had sold for.
“I was a little bit sleep deprived when I took the photo and put it on Facebook.
“Everyone went crazy for it. People were sharing the photo on other websites and passing it on to their friends.”
- 1 Person dies after being hit by train between Hatfield and Finsbury Park
- 2 Four vehicles crash on A602 near Stevenage
- 3 Stevenage's Forster Country: 'Secret plans' for car park and toilet block
- 4 Woman's purse 'stolen' outside Stevenage Tesco
- 5 Recap: Person 'hit by a train' between Welwyn Garden City and London
- 6 Beauty products worth 'thousands of pounds' stolen from Hitchin Sainsbury's
- 7 Stevenage doctor 'filled with pride' after taking home national award
- 8 All the Thameslink routes which will run during the early October strike
- 9 Apply for free tickets to see new season of The Masked Singer being filmed in Hertfordshire
- 10 Man who exposed Jimmy Savile reveals work on another paedophile case
Since then his wife Claire has posted the picture showing her under-dressed husband posing behind her leopard-print dress on ebay.
The winning bid of £205 was made yesterday (Thursday), and will be donated to Great Ormond Street Hospital.
The Deakins chose the charity as two relatives have been helped by the children’s hospital in London.
The family’s efforts have raised around £400, with Jamie becoming something of a local celebrity.
The 32-year-old said: “I went to the hairdressers on Friday and was telling them about it, one of the staff said he had seen it.
“And when walking down the town people keep asking why I’m not wearing my dress.
“Claire did say to me, ‘why did you pick that dress?’ as it’s one of her favourites but it’s hanging up in my wardrobe now. I just find the whole thing hilarious.”
After breaking the £200 barrier, the father-of-four has agreed to wear the dress at the Royal Oak pub in Stevenage tomorrow night (Saturday) but will go one step further if more money is raised.
“If it makes £500 I’ll go to the pub wearing a wig too and I might even stretch to some high heels as well,” added Jamie.
To make a donation directly to Great Ormond Street Hospital send a text message to 70070 followed by LEOP64 and the amount – either £1, £2, £3, £4, £5 or £10.