Midwife at Stevenage’s Lister Hospital wins award for care of grieving family after baby died
- Credit: Archant
A midwife has won an award for the sensitive support she gave a grieving family after their baby died, with her nomination saying “she gave light to our darkest time”.
Denny Cody is a midwife at Lister Hospital in Stevenage and has won the public nomination category of this year’s East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust’s Staff Awards.
The NHS trust - which runs Lister, the NEW QEII Hospital in Welwyn Garden City, Hertford County Hospital and the Mount Vernon Cancer Centre in Middlesex - says the awards are designed to recognise good practice and compassionate care.
Staff were invited to nominate people for categories including innovation, best team leader and best team, and entries were judged by a panel of staff and management.
For the public nomination award, people who have used the service were asked to nominate an individual or team for going the extra mile to make a difference.
Nick Carver, the chief executive of the NHS trust, said: “We started this category because we felt our patients and their families would like the opportunity to let the teams caring for them know how they feel about the care and commitment they receive from our staff.”
Denny’s nomination, from a family who lost their baby, reads: “Denny kept us informed. She gave us choices where we thought we had none. She gave light to our darkest time.”
- 1 Rising costs see refill store in Letchworth close for good
- 2 Family's car window smashed in overnight criminal damage
- 3 Stevenage store wins Opticians of the Year award
- 4 Two men from North Herts wanted by police for failing to attend court
- 5 Motorcyclist 'breaks leg and knee' in Stevenage crash
- 6 All the Thameslink routes which will run during the early October strike
- 7 Man dies following medical episode at Stevenage Cineworld
- 8 Celebrating 50 years of Stevenage's Fairlands Valley Park
- 9 Council discusses measures to ease cost of living crisis for Stevenage residents
- 10 Missing 16-year-old from Letchworth found 'safe and well'
The winners were announced at a ceremony in Hertford and Denny said: “I was very proud to receive this award.
“Like all midwives, we always strive to do our best for the families we care for.
“It is so lovely to know that, even in truly sad circumstances, I was able to help this family.”
Mr Carver said: “We are proud of all our staff and volunteers, who work tirelessly to care for local people.
“Denny in particular has been recognised for providing outstanding, compassionate care - going beyond the call of duty to support a family going through an extremely difficult time.
“She is a credit to our team and I would like to congratulate her on the award.
“Thank you to all those who took the time to make a nomination and well done to all our winners.”