Stevenage lifeguard Aleks Josh makes a splash on The Voice
A lifeguard hoping to be The Voice made it through the audition stage of the BBC1 prime time show on Saturday.
Stevenage Swimming Pool lifeguard and Lytton Player Aleks Josh was chosen by judges Will.i.am from the Black Eyed Peas and The Script’s Danny O’Donoghue as he performed a version of Jason Mraz track I’m Yours at the blind audition.
The 17-year-old, whose family also work at the leisure centre, has caused quite a stir with his performance.
Darren Bickell, facilities manager at Stevenage Leisure Centre, had to sign a contract with BBC, swearing to keep Aleks’ appearance a secret.
He said: “We’ve had lots of texts and phone calls from friends and family saying ‘you kept that quiet’.
You may also want to watch:
“We had to especially film the scenes which appeared on the show where he was lifeguarding when the pool had shut.
“He obviously has a very good talent.”
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 3 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 4 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 5 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 6 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 7 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 8 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 9 Do you recognise these people?
- 10 Drugs, weapons and cash recovered as man arrested in Beds village
After his performance which won a standing ovation from the audience, Aleks eventually chose Danny to be his mentor.
Danny told the 17-year-old: “That was one hell of a performance, a great song choice that suited you down to the ground. I thought you were fantastic.”
Will.i.am added: “The character of your voice is star quality”
Hitchin West-End actress Kerry Ellis also sang on Saturday’s show with a version of the Dusty Springfield classic Son of a Preacher Man.
But the Wicked star was rejected by the judges who also include singers Jessie J and Tom Jones.