Stevenage lifeguard Aleks Josh makes a splash on The Voice
A lifeguard hoping to be The Voice made it through the audition stage of the BBC1 prime time show on Saturday.
Stevenage Swimming Pool lifeguard and Lytton Player Aleks Josh was chosen by judges Will.i.am from the Black Eyed Peas and The Script’s Danny O’Donoghue as he performed a version of Jason Mraz track I’m Yours at the blind audition.
The 17-year-old, whose family also work at the leisure centre, has caused quite a stir with his performance.
Darren Bickell, facilities manager at Stevenage Leisure Centre, had to sign a contract with BBC, swearing to keep Aleks’ appearance a secret.
He said: “We’ve had lots of texts and phone calls from friends and family saying ‘you kept that quiet’.
“We had to especially film the scenes which appeared on the show where he was lifeguarding when the pool had shut.
“He obviously has a very good talent.”
- 1 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 2 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 3 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 4 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 5 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 6 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 7 Missing Letchworth woman found safe and well
- 8 Enter Shikari to play Club 85 gig in Hitchin as part of The National Lottery’s Revive Live Tour
- 9 James Bay announces intimate ‘New Songs New Stories’ solo tour for Independent Venue Week
- 10 Vegan market returns for final 2021 trade with festive twist
After his performance which won a standing ovation from the audience, Aleks eventually chose Danny to be his mentor.
Danny told the 17-year-old: “That was one hell of a performance, a great song choice that suited you down to the ground. I thought you were fantastic.”
Will.i.am added: “The character of your voice is star quality”
Hitchin West-End actress Kerry Ellis also sang on Saturday’s show with a version of the Dusty Springfield classic Son of a Preacher Man.
But the Wicked star was rejected by the judges who also include singers Jessie J and Tom Jones.