Stevenage library exhibition linked to national Holocaust commemoration opens on Monday
- Credit: Archant
Judges have picked out the winning entries in an art competition for Stevenage school pupils which is linked to a programme of Holocaust Memorial Day events in the town.
Mayor of Stevenage Howard Burrell was joined by representatives of the North Herts Liberal Synagogue and Stevenage Borough Council to decide on the winners, who will see their work used to illustrate the cover of the commemorative booklet for a civic service in the town centre on Wednesday, January 27.
Artwork which was submitted by Year 6 pupils at the town’s Martins Wood and Featherstone Wood primary schools is now on display in Stevenage Central Library.
The mayor will be at the library on Monday to officially open the display at the start of a programme of events to mark the annual Holocaust remembrance.
The library display will include both adult and children’s stock covering genocide around the world as well as the competition entries.
On Saturday, January 23, there will be a drop-in session at the Southgate library from 10.30am to 3.30pm so that visitors can explore the display and discuss the themes.
The civic service will be held at the Stevenage Borough Council offices in Danestrete at 6.30pm – all are welcome, to reserve a place contact Tracey Frost (firstname.lastname@example.org, 01438 242227).
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 2 Lights stolen in Baldock burglary
- 3 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 4 Villagers pull together to support boy with life-limiting condition
- 5 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
- 6 Our sporting stars celebrated with museum exhibition
- 7 Licence review for Hitchin's Chicken George after neighbour complaint
- 8 Invitation to Hitchin community garden party!
- 9 Crowds gather to mark Armed Forces Day in Letchworth
- 10 'He lives on in the hearts of those who knew him' - hundreds pay respects to Kajetan at moving mass
And on Thursday, January 28, historian Roger Moorhouse will be at the library to give a talk titled The Holocaust: An Introduction, from 7.15pm.
Tickets are £5, £2.50 concessions, from the library or online from www.hertslibraries.org.