Stevenage library exhibition linked to national Holocaust commemoration opens on Monday
- Credit: Archant
Judges have picked out the winning entries in an art competition for Stevenage school pupils which is linked to a programme of Holocaust Memorial Day events in the town.
Mayor of Stevenage Howard Burrell was joined by representatives of the North Herts Liberal Synagogue and Stevenage Borough Council to decide on the winners, who will see their work used to illustrate the cover of the commemorative booklet for a civic service in the town centre on Wednesday, January 27.
Artwork which was submitted by Year 6 pupils at the town’s Martins Wood and Featherstone Wood primary schools is now on display in Stevenage Central Library.
The mayor will be at the library on Monday to officially open the display at the start of a programme of events to mark the annual Holocaust remembrance.
The library display will include both adult and children’s stock covering genocide around the world as well as the competition entries.
You may also want to watch:
On Saturday, January 23, there will be a drop-in session at the Southgate library from 10.30am to 3.30pm so that visitors can explore the display and discuss the themes.
The civic service will be held at the Stevenage Borough Council offices in Danestrete at 6.30pm – all are welcome, to reserve a place contact Tracey Frost (firstname.lastname@example.org, 01438 242227).
- 1 Tottenham test for Stevenage after draw for Papa John's Trophy
- 2 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 3 Stevenage nursing home celebrates Pride
- 4 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 6 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 7 79-year-old pens autobiography inspired by move to Hitchin care home
- 8 Stevenage get big derby clash in first round of Carabao Cup
- 9 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 10 Broadband speeds 15x faster than average set to arrive thanks to major investment
And on Thursday, January 28, historian Roger Moorhouse will be at the library to give a talk titled The Holocaust: An Introduction, from 7.15pm.
Tickets are £5, £2.50 concessions, from the library or online from www.hertslibraries.org.