Stevenage left boggled as Grimsby hit them for five
- Credit: Archant
Stevenage slumped to a heavy defeat at Grimsby Town as Omar Bogle’s hat-trick helped the hosts to a 5-2 victory.
Boro went into the match on the back of a 4-0 home reversal to Stoke City in the EFL Cup on Tuesday evening, but were a goal down after just 15 minutes thanks to a smart piece of Bogle skill.
The Mariners doubled their lead when Luke Summerfield combined with Bogle and fired home, but in first-half injury time Fraser Franks handed Boro hope with a looping header to half the deficit.
Yet two goals in the space of two minutes after the break saw Grimsby on their way to the full three points.
Bogle was involved in the first, which was curled home by Dominic Vose, and then Bogle got his second to make it 4-1.
You may also want to watch:
Stevenage hit back once more thanks to Jobi McAnuff, who had started the match on the bench, but Bogle got his hands on the match ball with a late free-kick to leave Boro third from bottom after five matches.
Grimsby Town: McKeown, Davies, Gowling, Pearson, Andrew, Chambers, Disley, Vose (Bolarinwa 88), Summerfield, Bogle (Boyce 95), Jackson (Vernon 77). Subs: Mills, Clifton, Venney, Warrington.
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 3 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 4 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 5 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 6 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 7 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 8 Hitchin launches H-Town Pounds
- 9 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 10 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
Stevenage: Jones, Henry, Franks, Wells, Wilkinson (Fox 52), Kennedy, Lee, Pett, Tonge (Gorman 56), Godden, Hunte (McAnuff 44). Subs: Day, Liburd, Cowans, Hyde.