Stevenage in top three of repossession list
Householders in Stevenage are among the most likely to lose their homes in the region, a report out this week claims.
The study by homeless charity Shelter said the town has the third highest rate of repossession in the East of England, behind only Luton and Peterborough.
The research, which used information from mortgage lenders and private and social landlords, reveals 455 possession claims were made in the town in the year to October.
It also shows a strong correlation between high unemployment and eviction rates.
Campbell Robb, chief executive of Shelter described the risk of eviction as a blight on communities.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “As Christmas approaches this research paints a frightening picture of thousands of families living every day with the fear of losing their home.
“A third of people are already struggling with their housing costs of falling behind on payments. In these unforgiving conditions it only takes one thing – illness, job loss or relationship breakdown – to lead to things spiralling out of control. It’s vital that anyone struggling with housing costs seeks help immediately to give them the best chance of keeping their home.”
- 1 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 6 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 7 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 8 Freedom Day: Events to go ahead but hospitality will be affected, says BID manager
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Survivors Against Domestic Abuse opens 23rd safe space as demand for services rises