Stevenage hospital’s Pedalling Porters win Roaring Meg Communities Hero cash – why not spread some Christmas cheer and nominate someone yourself?
- Credit: Archant
A five-strong cycling team known as the Pedalling Porters are the latest to win a £100 prize for their community contribution.
Keith Harrison, Jason Crowe, Kenzie Gorton, Allan Horn and Alan Kitchener all work at Stevenage’s Lister Hospital and decided to saddle up to raise funds for the East & North Herts Hospitals’ Magic of Play appeal.
The staff team rode more than 50 miles from London to Brighton in September and raised about £2,500 to buy equipment for the hospital’s new playroom facilities.
Their efforts have also won them a Comet-backed Roaring Meg Community Heroes award.
Judges from the Stevenage-based retail park picked out the cycle squad for this month’s prize, which team leader Keith says will also be donated to the Magic of Play appeal.
You may also want to watch:
Keith, who lives in Hitchin, said: “We’re really chuffed and can give this extra money to the appeal. It’s nice to give something back and help the kids. If we can make their stay in hospital a little more pleasant it’s a job well done.”
To nominate someone email email@example.com explaining why you think they are deserving of the award.
- 1 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 2 Stevenage has 'no money left' for new special needs children, says council
- 3 Appeal after dog attack in Stevenage park
- 4 Still no justice for paramedic killed in 2018 crash
- 5 Community fieldwalking to uncover Hitchin's Roman ruins hailed 'huge success'
- 6 Woman taken to hospital after medical incident in town centre
- 7 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 8 Two schools' birthday celebrations can finally go ahead
- 9 Revealed: Stevenage pantomime cast members announced for Aladdin at the Gordon Craig Theatre
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images