Stevenage hospital’s Pedalling Porters win Roaring Meg Communities Hero cash – why not spread some Christmas cheer and nominate someone yourself?
- Credit: Archant
A five-strong cycling team known as the Pedalling Porters are the latest to win a £100 prize for their community contribution.
Keith Harrison, Jason Crowe, Kenzie Gorton, Allan Horn and Alan Kitchener all work at Stevenage’s Lister Hospital and decided to saddle up to raise funds for the East & North Herts Hospitals’ Magic of Play appeal.
The staff team rode more than 50 miles from London to Brighton in September and raised about £2,500 to buy equipment for the hospital’s new playroom facilities.
Their efforts have also won them a Comet-backed Roaring Meg Community Heroes award.
Judges from the Stevenage-based retail park picked out the cycle squad for this month’s prize, which team leader Keith says will also be donated to the Magic of Play appeal.
You may also want to watch:
Keith, who lives in Hitchin, said: “We’re really chuffed and can give this extra money to the appeal. It’s nice to give something back and help the kids. If we can make their stay in hospital a little more pleasant it’s a job well done.”
To nominate someone email email@example.com explaining why you think they are deserving of the award.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 Police officer's 'text book first aid' saves life of elderly man
- 3 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 4 Help transform overgrown land into outdoor classroom
- 5 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 6 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 7 Rotheram shines on dreary day as Datchworth dump Dunstable
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 9 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 10 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site