Stevenage, Hitchin and Letchworth churches to mark Easter Good Friday
- Credit: Archant
CHURCHES across Comet country will mark Easter with their annual Walk of Witness services today (Friday).
The traditional walks will be held this morning across towns in the area.
In Stevenage, the plan is to meet in the Town Centre Gardens opposite St Andrew and St George’s Church at 10.30am, before heading to the town centre clock tower for a short act of worship at 11am.
There will also be hot cross buns in the square, and coffee, tea and soup at YMCA Space, Stevenage.
In Hitchin, the walk will also begin at 10.30am, where congregations will meet in Bancroft Gardens for prayer before making their way to Market Place behind three crosses.
There will then be an address from Rev Michael Roden, from St Mary’s Church.
Letchworth GC churches will mark the occasion with their annual walk from the Broadway Gardens, from 11am onwards.
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 2 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 3 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
- 4 Lights stolen in Baldock burglary
- 5 Can you spot your school at Stevenage's Commonwealth Games Day?
- 6 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 7 Stevenage Armed Forces Day in pictures
- 8 North Herts Sanctuary announces plans to continue support amid service changes
- 9 Villagers pull together to support boy with life-limiting condition
- 10 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
And in Shefford, congregations will meet at 11am at the methodist church, stopping at each of the churches en route to Shefford Baptist Church. At each stop there will be a Bible reading and prayer, while at St Michael’s there will be a short open-air service, with tea, coffee and hot cross buns served at the end.
All events have been organised by the towns’ respective Churches Together groups.
There will also be events put on in town centres this weekend.
Hitchin Market will hold an Easter fun day today, from 10am-3pm, where there will be free face painting, glitter tattoos and balloons, plus an Easter egg colouring competition.
In Stevenage Leisure Park’s 360 Play, there will be Easter trail competitions across the weekend, while Letchworth GC’s Indie Easter egg hunt continues until next week.
? Do you have an Easter event planned, or did you attend one of the above? Send in your pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org