Stevenage history: this week in...1996
- Credit: Archant
Boro hit 11 goals in two away matches on their way to the Conference title
You could argue that it wasn’t until Boro demolished Woking on Easter Monday that the Conference title was coming to Broadhall Way back in 1996.
Coming into the final straight, Stevenage hadn’t lost since November and our title credentials were stacking up nicely.
After a run of three home league games that had yielded seven points (including a 1-0 win against Hednesford Town, who ended the season in third place), Boro had a pair of away games against teams in the bottom half that could have proved tricky.
The first was on March 9 against Stalybridge Celtic. The attendance of 673 might not have done justice to how significant things could have been.
You may also want to watch:
Boro were helped by the fact that Barry Hayles was in a good mood. His hat-trick, plus Dave Venables and Corey Browne goals, put the club on course for a 5-2 win. If Stevenage were going to win the Conference, goals weren’t going to be a problem.
After that, Boro had a Tuesday evening date with Slough Town on March 12. Again, not the most troubling on paper but football is a funny old game.
- 1 Multiple cars involved in A1(M) collision
- 2 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 3 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 4 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 5 Letchworth and Baldock Sergeant set to retire after two decades in Herts
- 6 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 7 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 8 Bowling alley refurb celebrated in Hollywood style
- 9 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 10 Stevenage in UK's top 25 for community spirit
Could Boro repeat the level of performance that they’d put in at Stalybridge and come away with a win?
If you’d have doubted ’em, you’d have been wrong. Corey Browne’s brace was the highlight as Boro put six past their hosts and made it 11 goals in two away games.
If ever there was a gauntlet to lay down to the chaps from Surrey, Boro had laid it down…
* Pete Hayman runs BoroGuide, the Stevenage FC internet resource. For more information visit www.boroguide.co.uk or follow him on twitter @boroguide