Stevenage Hall of Fame celebrates town’s sporting stars
- Credit: Archant
A digital Stevenage Sports Hall of Fame has been launched, recognising how the town has produced top quality athletes over the decades.
The Hall of Fame project, led by Sport Stevenage, was first set up in 2008 to recognise and celebrate successful sporting men and women.
During the early years of the project, pop-up banners were displayed around the town detailing athletes’ profiles and achievements.
Large displays on Stevenage Railway Station’s walkway were commissioned in 2014 and opened by late mayor Sherma Batson and England and Manchester United footballer Ashley Young, who is from Stevenage.
Including athletes representing their country in over 15 different disciplines, the project has become a talking point in the community, highlighting new sporting stars as well as recognising those already well-established.
You may also want to watch:
Now, the Stevenage Sports Hall of Fame has launched a digital version of the project to reflect the 21st century.
The chairman of Sport Stevenage, Louise Gallagher-Smith, said: “Sport Stevenage is proud to launch the digital Sports Hall of Fame.
- 1 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park
- 2 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 3 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 4 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 5 Proposed 5G mast labelled 'monstrosity' by objecting residents and councillors
- 6 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 7 Bomb squad attends residential street in Letchworth
- 8 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 9 App launched to promote shopping at local businesses
- 10 The hidden history of Hitchin's disappeared pubs
“It is fantastic chance to recognise worthy sports performers from the town and to continually showcase Stevenage’s ability to produce top quality athletes.
“It is clear from what we have seen on the walkway and from what we hear in the press that Stevenage has been a successful place for many sporting stars over the years.
“The digital Hall of Fame allows for these achievements to be recognised in a way which is more fitting with the online world many Stevenage residents embrace and will ensure we can celebrate these as soon as they happen in the future.
“I’m excited to see how many more talented athletes there are that we aren’t yet aware of.”
To view the digital Stevenage Sports Hall of Fame, visit sportstevenage.co.uk.
You can also visit the website to nominate a sporting star to be featured in the digital Hall of Fame. Simply complete the online nomination form.
The Hall of Fame project is supported by Sport Stevenage, Stevenage Borough Council, MBDA and North Hertfordshire College.