Stevenage girls’ generation game - 20 years on
- Credit: Archant
A family who appeared in the Comet 20 years ago with five generations of girls have welcomed a new addition two decades on.
In 1993 the paper published an article about a Stevenage family who had just welcomed new arrival Jessica Bacon.
Now Jessica, of Lonsdale Road in Stevenage, has kept up the tradition by giving birth to Karis in October.
It means, following the death of great-great-grandmother Florrie Kerton in 1994, the family now spans five generations again.
All the family remain in Stevenage apart from Karis’ 83-year-old great-great-grandmother, who lives in Harrison Court, Hitchin.
You may also want to watch:
About the new born, Jessica, 20, said: “After Karis was born she was taken to special care for five days but she pulled through. It’s brilliant to add to a long line of girls.”
Karis’ grandmother Julie Sullivan, of Sheringham Avenue, has also revealed another coincidence.
- 1 Shop employee shaken after knifepoint robbery
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Arsonist jailed for 10 years after setting 'terrifying' house fire
- 4 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 5 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 6 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 7 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 8 Boy, 13, subjected to distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 9 Bedfordshire schools mark move to two-tier system
- 10 Herts Cladiators take part in London rally against 'terrible injustice'
“Florrie was a professional nanny, her daughter and my mum Audrey worked as a nursery nurse, I was a childminder for 19 years and have recently started childminding again, Cherie is a childminder and Jessica is a childminding assistant,” she said.
“There are also two more close family members who live in Stevenage and work as childminders and with children in care homes, so as well as genes, it seems that a family profession has travelled down the generations too.”