Stevenage girl, 14, will raise money in memory of friend who died from brain tumour after reaching Top Model UK final
A schoolgirl with dreams of a career on the catwalk has made it to the final of a national modelling competition, while raising money for a cause close to her heart after her friend died from a brain tumour.
Ellie Weaver, a pupil at The Barclay School in Stevenage, has reached the final in the commercial category of Top Model UK – a professional model search competition.
The 14-year-old has also raised £185 so far for Children with Cancer UK, a charity the competition is supporting this year.
Ellie, of Walkern Road in the town, said: “I have wanted to be a model for a long time – since I was a little girl – and I also want to help children who are sick.
“The charity is very close to my heart as a friend of mine died from a brain tumour three years ago. Through this event I have the opportunity to raise as much money as I can.”
Mum Jacquie said: “We are supporting Ellie because it’s something she wants to do and she’s raising money for children with cancer, which she is really passionate about doing.
“It’s a very exciting time for her. We had tried a modelling agency, but they said she was too young and recommended this competition instead.
- 1 Man dies following medical episode at Stevenage Cineworld
- 2 Meet Izabela: The inspiring Stevenage baker with MS
- 3 Council plea fails to stop Stevenage Charter Fair goldfish prizes
- 4 Letchworth pond tested and fish removed after animals found dead
- 5 All the Thameslink routes which will run during the early October strike
- 6 Multiple homes burgled in Letchworth
- 7 Police 'concerned for welfare' of missing 16-year-old from Letchworth
- 8 Felled weeping willow to be replaced in Hitchin churchyard
- 9 Have your say on plans to redevelop The Forum in Stevenage
- 10 October 1 strikes: A complete guide to trains in Hertfordshire
“She has gone through a few stages to get to this point. We sent photos in and then went to London, where she was chosen out of so many people for the commercial category.”
Ellie will have catwalk training at the end of January, followed by costume fittings and dress rehearsals, before the final on April 1 at the Hilton London Metropole hotel.