Stevenage general election vote rivals unite to back Trust’s 25th anniversary campaign
- Credit: Archant
Vote rivals battling hard for support ahead of May’s general election are agreed on at least one thing – Stevenage Community Trust’s 25th anniversary aims deserve cross-party support.
Leader of Stevenage Borough Council Sharon Taylor, who will be trying to win the town back for Labour, and sitting Conservative MP Stephen McPartland have both pledged their support to promote the aims of the Trust.
During the landmark year the organisation, which supports a wide variety of groups in the borough with the help of backers from the town’s business community, aims to attract 25 new corporate members. It also plans to give out grants totalling £100,000 – taking the Trust’s total donations since it was founded in 1990 over the £1 million mark.
Mr McPartland said: “I look forward to visiting every new member to thank them for their support of our local community.”
Councillor Taylor said: “The Trust demonstrates all that is good about Stevenage, the members of the Trust and all those who donate and attend charity functions are incredibly generous with their time and their money.
You may also want to watch:
“Those who benefit from that generosity are all local people and families who, as well as receiving the help they need, know that someone cares.
“I am truly grateful to Hilda Lawrence for her inspirational vision to set up the Trust 25 years ago, to all those who have been involved over the years.
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 Police officer's 'text book first aid' saves life of elderly man
- 3 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 4 Help transform overgrown land into outdoor classroom
- 5 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 6 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 7 Rotheram shines on dreary day as Datchworth dump Dunstable
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 9 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 10 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
“Robert Stewart and the current trustees have fantastic plans to take the Trust forward.”
To find out how you can support the Trust or apply for a grant, visit www.stevenagecommunitytrust.org or call 01438 525390