Stevenage firefighters rescue ducklings that fell into storm drain
FIREFIGHTERS spent almost two hours rescuing seven ducklings from a storm water drain in Stevenage today (Thursday). The ducklings had been spotted falling into the drain in Fairlands Way close to the Aldi supermarket by a member of the public as they att
FIREFIGHTERS spent almost two hours rescuing seven ducklings from a storm water drain in Stevenage today (Thursday).
The ducklings are believed to have fallen into the drain in Fairlands Way close to the Aldi supermarket as they attempted to follow their mother along the busy dual carriageway possibly as long as two days ago.
The Red Watch crew from Stevenage Fire Station under the command of Steve Kendall arrived at the scene at 11.13am and finished the rescue operation just before 1pm, with one firefighters having to physically get into the drain to catch the ducklings.
The operation was supported by the RSPCA who took the ducklings away to be checked by a vet, and Hertfordshire Highways.
You may also want to watch:
"Seven of the 11 ducklings belonging to the adult female had fallen into the drain and had probably been there for two days," said RSPCA collection officer Kate Cornell.
"She had been spotted hanging around the drain with her four other chicks and then gone off. A member of the public had seen her and called us and we could hear the chicks.
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Shop employee shaken after knifepoint robbery
- 3 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 4 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 5 Arsonist jailed for 10 years after setting 'terrifying' house fire
- 6 Boy, 13, subjected to distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 7 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 8 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 9 No positives for Revell as Boro meekly surrender to Forest Green Rovers
- 10 Arrest made after man in his 40s dies in A505 crash tragedy
"There was a happy ending and hopefully soon they can be released into the wild."
After being cleaned and fed the ducklings were taken to Miss Tiggywinkles Wildlife Animal Hospital near Aylesbury.