Stevenage filmmaker praised for mental health movie
- Credit: Archant
A filmmaker has been praised for her new feature about mental illness.
Turkan Ahmet, 26, of Stevenage, screened her new film The Girl That Lived at Stevenage Wellbeing Centre earlier this month.
The film focuses on the character of a young woman struggling with addiction and mental health problems, and was produced in association with mental health charity Mind.
Miss Ahmet said: “This was a film that I really wanted to make because I felt that the script tackled issues that a lot of people can be very squeamish when talking about and I think it’s important to try and remove some of that stigma.
“It was important for me to research the character and make sure I was doing the issues, which so many people are living with everyday, justice.”
Gloria Holland, chief executive of Mind Mid Herts, said: “In today’s times of austerity it becomes more important to help people with mental health and the issues raised in the film so we were really proud to help Turkan with the film.”
Councillors, mental health professionals and other Mind staff from across Hertfordshire joined Miss Ahmet for the screening of the film, which will soon be available to view online.
- 1 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 2 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 3 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 4 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 5 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 6 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 7 Missing Letchworth woman found safe and well
- 8 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 9 Enter Shikari to play Club 85 gig in Hitchin as part of The National Lottery’s Revive Live Tour
- 10 James Bay announces intimate ‘New Songs New Stories’ solo tour for Independent Venue Week
If you want to find out more about Mind’s services in Hertfordshire or the Stevenage Wellbeing Centre visit www.mindinmidherts.org.uk/stevenage