Stevenage start EFL Trophy with late victory over Southampton
- Credit: Danny Loo/TGS Photo
Tyrone Marsh scored with the clock showing 90 minutes as Stevenage came back to beat Southampton U21 2-1 in the EFL Trophy.
Boro had trailed to a Callum Slattery free-kick in the 37th minute but were level before half-time.
Inih Effiong forced Harry Lewis into a save but when the ball ran loose towards the edge of the area Marcus Dinanga curled it around the defence and into the net for a debut goal.
Alex Revell had made seven changes to the side that beat Oldham Athletic on Saturday, including man of the match from the League Two contest Elliot Osborne.
He arrived just past the hour though in place of academy player Jack Smith and was involved in the winner, laying it across the box towards Marsh for the summer signing to also grab his first for the club.
You may also want to watch:
Northampton Town and MK Dons are the other teams in group C with the Dons next up at the Lamex on October 6.
- 1 Devastated wife pays tribute to Stewart Macgregor following e-scooter accident
- 2 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 3 Man in 70s arrested following A600 crash
- 4 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 5 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 6 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 7 Delivery driver forced to floor in mobile phone robbery
- 8 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 9 Goldfish prizes to be banned on council-owned land
- 10 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome