Stevenage FC letter campaign: ‘Please support your local club’
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Stevenage Football Club has launched a new campaign today in a bid to encourage residents to support their local team.
The club’s average attendance last season was just 2,611 in a town of 88,000, so first team manager Dino Maamria has written a letter to residents appealing for their support.
The Boro boss was joined by players in Broadwater Crescent today as they began to post some of the 44,000 letters which will be going out to those living in Stevenage and the surrounding villages this month.
In the letter Dino, who has lived in Stevenage with his family for 20 years, writes: “For me a football club should be at the heart of the community, and the heart of a football club lies in its fans. I hope as a resident of the town you can come and be part of our club and experience what we have to offer.”
Those who receive the letter will be able to buy two tickets for £10 for any one of the club’s eight forthcoming home EFL League Two matches this season, with the first game under the offer to be held on October 6 when Colchester United visit The Lamex Stadium.
You may also want to watch:
Commenting of the campaign, Stevenage FC’s chief executive Alex Tunbridge said: “The residents letter campaign provides us with an opportunity for the first time to fully reach out to the residents of the town and to educate and remind them about their local football club.
“For the club to have had an average home attendance of just 2,611 last season, in a town of 88,000 residents, it suggests that something is not working.
- 1 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 2 Stevenage has 'no money left' for new special needs children, says council
- 3 Appeal after dog attack in Stevenage park
- 4 Community fieldwalking to uncover Hitchin's Roman ruins hailed 'huge success'
- 5 Still no justice for paramedic killed in 2018 crash
- 6 Woman taken to hospital after medical incident in town centre
- 7 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 8 Two schools' birthday celebrations can finally go ahead
- 9 Revealed: Stevenage pantomime cast members announced for Aladdin at the Gordon Craig Theatre
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
“We are seeking to improve our stadium, match day experience and engagement with the community on a daily basis, in a bid to become further embed and valued within our community. We now need the people of the town to come and play their part in supporting their local club.”
The offer is open to any residents of any age in any stand for any one of the eight home league games between October and January against Colchester United, Crewe Alexandra, Port Vale, Oldham Athletic, MK Dons, Mansfield Town, Crawley Town and Forest Green Rovers.
To get yours just bring you residents letter and proof of address to the club shop, which is open on Thursdays and Fridays between 10am and 7pm, and on home match days from 12 noon until 3pm.
The club is also asking residents who receive a letter through their door to use the hashtag #WeAreStevenage on social media in a show of support.
For further information or any queries regarding the residents letter you can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the club on 01438 223223.