Stevenage FC give indication of North Stand opening date as work set to restart
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
Stevenage FC expect to open the new North Stand at the start of next season after the club confirmed that work will restart next week.
In a statement on Boro’s website, the club said that UK Power Networks will be switching the power to the newly-installed substation next Friday, February 22.
Work to lay the foundations will then restart the following week, commencing February 25, with steel construction beginning in late March.
If there are no delays, this schedule would see the 1,428 all-seater North Stand open to fans in August or September.
The 2019/20 season is likely to kick-off in early August, meaning Stevenage will be in a race against time to have the stand open for their first home game of the campaign.
You may also want to watch:
Work on the stand at the Lamex Stadium stopped back in June last year after it was discovered that the electricity distributor held the lease for a substation on the site – dating back to 1962.
In Boro’s original planning application architects drew up plans to put a fire resistant chamber around the electrical generator, transmission and distribution system.
- 1 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 2 Stevenage nursing home celebrates Pride
- 3 Tottenham test for Stevenage after draw for Papa John's Trophy
- 4 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 5 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 6 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 7 Stevenage get big derby clash in first round of Carabao Cup
- 8 Cancelled school trip to red list Peru sees some students losing £2,250
- 9 Poppy Fletcher makes history by signing for Stevenage women
- 10 79-year-old pens autobiography inspired by move to Hitchin care home
This was approved by Stevenage Borough Council before the paperwork error was discovered.
Although the 21-year lease expired in 1983, UK Power Networks insisted that it still has certain rights over the land.