Stevenage FC fan has long locks chopped for charity after Wycombe Wanderers game
- Credit: Archant
A Stevenage fan has chopped off her long locks in the name of charity, with a helping hand from fellow football supporters.
Tamara Harrison faced the scissors on Saturday after watching Stevenage FC take on Wycombe Wanderers at the Lamex Stadium.
Despite seeing her team lose 3-1, the 20-year-old agreed to let hairdresser Lisa Cowan cut her hair in the Broadhall Suite after the match.
Tamara, who has Asperger syndrome, had been growing her hair for about three years and wanted to make use of it when making a decision to have her hair cut shorter.
Following the cut, Tamara donated her ponytail to the Little Princess Trust, which makes wigs for children who have cancer. She has also been raising money for Cancer Research UK, with £140 donated by Boro and Wycombe fans in a bucket collection.
You may also want to watch:
Tamara, of Furzedown in Stevenage, said: “I am doing this not for my own benefit but for the Little Princess Trust, which make wonderful wigs for amazing children with cancer and occasionally people with alopecia.
“My hair is my gift to the Little Princess Trust, but the money being raised is going to Cancer Research UK because this awesome charity support and help people living with cancer and aim to find cures.
- 1 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 2 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 3 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 4 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 7 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 8 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool
- 9 Do you recognise these people?
- 10 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus lockdown restrictions still go ahead?
“Thank you to everyone for your support and generosity.”
Tamara’s mum and fellow Stevenage supporter Fiona Currey added: “The cut went really well although Tam has very thick hair so it took quite a long time after the initial ponytail was chopped.
“The Stevenage and Wycombe fans were really supportive and very generous, as were the football club for allowing us to complete the event there. I am so proud of Tamara, cutting your hair so short for a worthy cause and fundraising is such a selfless and generous thing to do.”
So far more than £400 has been raised, to make a donation visit www.justgiving.com/TamaraLHarrison.