Stevenage family who spread Christmas cheer in memory of Darren plan to do it again after £300 fundraising success
- Credit: Archant
A family from Stevenage who set out to spread seasonal cheer across the town on Christmas Eve are planning to do it all again next year.
Tracey Woods’ husband Darren and 14-year-old son TJ dressed up as Santa and an elf to deliver presents and magic reindeer food to 20 families in memory of their neighbour’s son, who died a decade ago after a year-long battle with cancer.
The pair normally take on their festive alter egos for an annual Santa’s grotto organised by neighbour Angie Minett in memory of son Darren Hall, but this year they hit the road in return for donations to Bloodwise – the blood cancer charity which Angie has supported since her 26-year-old son’s death from leukaemia in 2005.
Tracey, 43, of Briardale, said: “We managed to raise almost £300 towards the charity and the reactions of the children we visited was priceless.
“Santa was given some wish lists by the children and a couple wanted him to stay all afternoon! We have had a great response from the parents thanking us – but the thank you should be for the parents allowing us to raise money for this worthwhile cause.”
You may also want to watch:
All parents who supported the venture will be sent a link in the new year to allow them to download images as a memento of the special visit, and Tracey says they’re planning to repeat the Christmas Eve tour for the same cause next year.
- 1 Why grass in Stevenage and North Herts public areas isn't cut
- 2 Surprise care home inspection finds residents at risk
- 3 Closure order for Hitchin bungalow following anti-social behaviour
- 4 Two people taken to hospital with serious injuries after Clothall Road crash
- 5 'Music legends' Aswad impress at LGC Live event in town centre
- 6 Officers investigating vehicle interferences urge victims to come forward
- 7 Demolition work begins on former Matalan site to make way for flats
- 8 The beach is back! Hitchin to welcome the return of sun and sand for the ultimate staycation
- 9 New mental health unit earmarked for Stevenage
- 10 A family affair and club history make it a special day for Letchworth