Stevenage family struck down with swine flu
A family of three in Stevenage have tested positive for swine flu. The Stevenage family have been given anti-virals and are recovering well at home. The family recently travelled back to the UK from countries affected by swine flu. Dr Jane Halpin, Direc
A family of three in Stevenage have tested positive for swine flu. The Stevenage family have been given anti-virals and are recovering well at home. The family recently travelled back to the UK from countries affected by swine flu.
Dr Jane Halpin, Director of Public Health at NHS East and North Hertfordshire and West Hertfordshire said: "The people here in Hertfordshire who have contracted swine flu have all spent time recently in a country affected by the virus and their symptoms are mild. They are all at home and being looked after by local GPs.
"There is no reason for members of the public to be concerned. We still have very few cases of swine flu and the symptoms are not severe. We do have in place robust plans to tackle swine flu and its possible spread. Our incident team meets regularly to review plans and to monitor the situation.
"There are also simple steps that everyone can take to help prevent catching colds and flu based on good respiratory and hand hygiene. Always use a tissue to catch your sneezes, throw away used tissues where germs can linger and regularly wash your hands.
You may also want to watch:
"If people are concerned because they have been to Mexico, the US or any of the other affected areas and are developing flu-like symptoms, they should stay at home and telephone their GP or contact NHS Direct on 0845 46 47 or via the web at www.nhs.uk
- 1 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 2 Stevenage nursing home celebrates Pride
- 3 Tottenham test for Stevenage after draw for Papa John's Trophy
- 4 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 5 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 6 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 7 Stevenage get big derby clash in first round of Carabao Cup
- 8 Cancelled school trip to red list Peru sees some students losing £2,250
- 9 Poppy Fletcher makes history by signing for Stevenage women
- 10 79-year-old pens autobiography inspired by move to Hitchin care home