Stevenage doctor’s legacy saves Afghan children at the mercy of war
Children affected by war have had their lives saved thanks to a charity set up in the name of a doctor who died trying to help them.
The Karen Woo Foundation, created in memory of the 36-year-old Stevenage doctor who was murdered by insurgents in Afghanistan while taking medical aid to remote villages in 2010, has given its first grants totalling �20,000 to healthcare and education projects in the country.
The Childlight Foundation undertook six projects to supply books and much-needed essentials such as clothing and baby food to kindergartens, girls’ schools, orphanages and women’s prisons across the country.
Money raised also enabled La Cha�ne de l’Espoir and The Children’s House in Kabul to provide surgical operations to 15 more vulnerable and poor children from rural areas, while accommodating their families.
Karen’s mother and foundation trustee Lynn Woo, said these organisations need support to carry out their life-enhancing and life-saving work.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “It’s a great honour for us to be working directly with Afghan people, to be able to show solidarity with courageous colleagues working to ensure the women and children in their communities reach their full potential.
“Karen fell in love with Afghanistan and we hope the humble efforts of the foundation set up in her name goes someway to making a lasting change to the lives of ordinary Afghans.”
- 1 Arrests made after assault leaves victim with lacerations to the head
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 Ambulance called to crash between motorcycle and van in Stevenage
- 4 Hospice volunteers mark Churchgate Day on the catwalk with vintage fashion show
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 7 I went to Stevenage Charter Fair for the first time, and here's what I thought
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 Historic family jewellers scoops up industry awards
- 10 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony
The Karen Woo Foundation aims to support literacy, nutrition and medical projects across Afghanistan. For more information and to help, go to www.karenwoofoundation.org