Stevenage doctor in 127 mile TV bike race
- Credit: Archant
A doctor is appearing in a TV documentary tonight (Monday) after taking part in a 127-mile bike race.
Dr Rabia Osman, who works as a GP at the St Nicholas Health Centre and Lister Hospital’s A&E department in Stevenage, will appear in Wonga Challenge Presents: Go Hard or Go Home on Channel 5.
The 51-year-old took part in The Bone Breaker – a race in the Pyrenees mountains in France and Spain which every year attracts 8,000 hardcore cyclists who have spent up to a year training for it.
Dr Osman and fellow participant John Logan, a doctor from Milton Keynes, had just 12 weeks to prepare for the challenge held in June last year.
“It was an incredible and truly life-changing experience, and I would recommend it to anyone,” said Dr Osman.
You may also want to watch:
“I have never undertaken anything like this before in my life and wasn’t sure what to expect. It was even harder than I could have imagined but when something like this comes up, I think it’s really important to grab it with both hands. Being a doctor you often have to give people information about how best to live their life and be healthy and I feel like I’m only just following my own advice.”
The show’s presenter Hannah White, said: “My dream with this project was to give people the opportunity to experience the incredible, life defining moments you get in competitions. Setting yourself a goal, working towards it, and eventually achieving that goal is a feeling that I wanted everyone in the show to experience. So much is possible if you work hard, believe in yourself and never give up.”
- 1 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 4 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 5 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
- 6 Walk-in vaccine slots available this week
- 7 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 8 Tributes to Poppy Appeal stalwart and 'true gentleman' Les Mortimer
- 9 Girl reportedly touched by man while walking home from school
- 10 Helicopter and armed police hunt weapon suspects
Wonga Challenge Presents: Go Hard or Go Home airs on Channel 5 tonight at 8pm.