Stevenage doctor in 127 mile TV bike race
- Credit: Archant
A doctor is appearing in a TV documentary tonight (Monday) after taking part in a 127-mile bike race.
Dr Rabia Osman, who works as a GP at the St Nicholas Health Centre and Lister Hospital’s A&E department in Stevenage, will appear in Wonga Challenge Presents: Go Hard or Go Home on Channel 5.
The 51-year-old took part in The Bone Breaker – a race in the Pyrenees mountains in France and Spain which every year attracts 8,000 hardcore cyclists who have spent up to a year training for it.
Dr Osman and fellow participant John Logan, a doctor from Milton Keynes, had just 12 weeks to prepare for the challenge held in June last year.
“It was an incredible and truly life-changing experience, and I would recommend it to anyone,” said Dr Osman.
“I have never undertaken anything like this before in my life and wasn’t sure what to expect. It was even harder than I could have imagined but when something like this comes up, I think it’s really important to grab it with both hands. Being a doctor you often have to give people information about how best to live their life and be healthy and I feel like I’m only just following my own advice.”
The show’s presenter Hannah White, said: “My dream with this project was to give people the opportunity to experience the incredible, life defining moments you get in competitions. Setting yourself a goal, working towards it, and eventually achieving that goal is a feeling that I wanted everyone in the show to experience. So much is possible if you work hard, believe in yourself and never give up.”
- 1 Have your say on plans to redevelop The Forum in Stevenage
- 2 Letchworth pond tested and fish removed after animals found dead
- 3 Multiple homes burgled in Letchworth
- 4 All the Thameslink routes which will run during the early October strike
- 5 Molly-Mae Hague announces pregnancy in adorable Instagram video
- 6 Stevenage Railway Station: Normal train service resumes after major repairs
- 7 Baby Asian elephant calf named 'Queen' at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
- 8 Standalone 10k keeps getting better and better says race boss
- 9 Over 55s invited to 'Ageing Together' event to improve housing needs
- 10 Stevenage stabbings: Three men suffer life-changing injuries
Wonga Challenge Presents: Go Hard or Go Home airs on Channel 5 tonight at 8pm.