Stevenage defender Luke Wilkinson pleased with pre-season win over Championship side Brighton – as team looks towards Crewe on opening day
- Credit: Archant
Stevenage defender Luke Wilkinson was quietly satisfied with their eye-catching win over Championship side Brighton and Hove Albion.
Boro beat the south coast side 1-0 with a well-taken first half goal by Rowan Liburd in sweltering temperatures at The Lamex yesterday.
The Seagulls started with nine established players and two academy products – but the club which narrowly failed to win promotion to the Premier League at the end of their 46 game league season last term were put to the sword by boss Darren Sarll’s determined team.
The commanding 25-year-old defender Wilkinson – who had a fine game and as part of a well-drilled backline unit – said: “It was pleasing to win.
“It was a good performance. Everyone put a shift in.
You may also want to watch:
“We want to win these type of games so it builds us up for the first game of the season against Crewe.
“We’re trying to build an intensity ahead of that game. Everyone is still finding their feet but the more games we play, and the more we train the quicker we’ll get there.
- 1 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 Man taken to hospital after crash involving mobility scooter and motorhome
- 3 Man dies after Stevenage e-scooter crash
- 4 Road closures following crash in Letchworth
- 5 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 6 Primary school's new garden has 'positive effect on wellbeing and learning'
- 7 Child abuse investigation dropped after hotel lost CCTV
- 8 Opening of long-awaited Stevenage supermarket
- 9 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 10 Halloween trail set for Letchworth this half term
“Last season wasn’t great and we don’t want to be back there again. Every game we play we want to win.”
Reflecting on his late header which nearly went against a club that played a double header yesterday – as a completely different Seagulls’ line up lost 2-1 to Luton Town earlier in the day – Wilkinson added: “I don’t set myself targets in terms of goals scored.
“I’d much rather have a clean sheet as a defensive unit than score a goal. It would have been nice to have scored but it wasn’t to be.
“The main thing is we are ready for Crewe.”