Stevenage Day makes a big splash for New Town’s 70th anniversary despite the typical British summer weather
- Credit: Archant
The rain didn’t dampen the festival mood at Stevenage Day yesterday marking the beginning of a summer of celebrations for the New Town’s 70th anniversary.
The rain didn’t dampen the festival mood at Stevenage Day on Sunday marking the beginning of a summer of celebrations for the New Town’s 70th anniversary.
With a packed programme of bands on two stages there was plenty on offer for music fans, with local bands including The Defekters and Space Goat, as well as up and coming boy band Room 94 who headlined the show just before the heavens opened.
There was plenty for families too with bouncy castles, sand pits, slides and falconry displays.
The festival arena was brought to life with stunning performances by a host of local acts including dancers from the Warriorz Performing Arts Academy.
You may also want to watch:
Festival Chairman Ron Walker said: “The rain mostly held off in the afternoon and it was as successful as it could have been given the weather.
“A lot of people came prepared for the weather and were going to come along regardless so we are very grateful to them.
- 1 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 2 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 3 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 4 What you need to know about the changing divorce laws
- 5 Medical spa at the front of breaking down taboos about cosmetic treatments opens in Stevenage
- 6 CCTV appeal after distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 7 Darcie's Wish fundraising back on track after 18 months
- 8 Have your say on future of Stevenage High Street
- 9 Youths to be questioned by police in connection with fountain foam
- 10 Woman suffers cuts and bruises in pub glassing
“It was great to see something going on in Stevenage for young people.”
The 70th celebrations continue this weekend with a packed bill of events at the Gordon Craig Theatre including Schools Night tonight, a dance extravaganza tomorrow and Last Night of the Proms on Saturday. There is also a flower festival at St Andrew and St George Church on Saturday and Sunday when the buildings of Stevenage New Town will be depicted in floral displays.