Stevenage Day makes a big splash for New Town’s 70th anniversary despite the typical British summer weather
- Credit: Archant
The rain didn’t dampen the festival mood at Stevenage Day yesterday marking the beginning of a summer of celebrations for the New Town’s 70th anniversary.
The rain didn’t dampen the festival mood at Stevenage Day on Sunday marking the beginning of a summer of celebrations for the New Town’s 70th anniversary.
With a packed programme of bands on two stages there was plenty on offer for music fans, with local bands including The Defekters and Space Goat, as well as up and coming boy band Room 94 who headlined the show just before the heavens opened.
There was plenty for families too with bouncy castles, sand pits, slides and falconry displays.
The festival arena was brought to life with stunning performances by a host of local acts including dancers from the Warriorz Performing Arts Academy.
Festival Chairman Ron Walker said: “The rain mostly held off in the afternoon and it was as successful as it could have been given the weather.
“A lot of people came prepared for the weather and were going to come along regardless so we are very grateful to them.
- 1 Molly-Mae Hague announces pregnancy in adorable Instagram video
- 2 Two arrests made in connection with Stevenage brawl
- 3 Have your say on plans to redevelop The Forum in Stevenage
- 4 Possible changes to bin collections in North Herts
- 5 Player ratings: Stevenage's players assessed in the win over Harrogate
- 6 Chocolates sold at Tesco stores recalled after health risk discovered
- 7 Man reportedly 'exposed himself' in front of 14-year-old girl on Thameslink train
- 8 'Terrible' oil spill in Hitchin river causes multiple bird deaths
- 9 Strike to hit Thameslink on bumper day for Premier League football
- 10 Stevenage stabbings: Three men suffer life-changing injuries
“It was great to see something going on in Stevenage for young people.”
The 70th celebrations continue this weekend with a packed bill of events at the Gordon Craig Theatre including Schools Night tonight, a dance extravaganza tomorrow and Last Night of the Proms on Saturday. There is also a flower festival at St Andrew and St George Church on Saturday and Sunday when the buildings of Stevenage New Town will be depicted in floral displays.