Stevenage Day is resounding success
THOUSANDS of people turned out for Stevenage Day on Sunday and enjoyed fun in the sun.
The 51st Stevenage Day on King George V Playing Fields was opened by mayor Michael Downing and featured more than 100 stalls, as well as activities and entertainment with a community focus.
A seven-a-side football festival ran throughout the afternoon, and other events included dance displays by the majorettes of North Herts Sparklets and Camps Hill Cheerleaders, as well as a Barking Mad dog display and a Punch and Judy show.
Boro Bear, the mascot of Stevenage Football Club, paid a visit to the event, taking the Blue Square Premiership Trophy with him.
Cllr Howard Burrell, Stevenage Borough Council’s executive member for children and young people, culture, sport and leisure, said: “This was one of the most successful Stevenage Days ever. We took the decision to make this year’s event very Stevenage-centric and it definitely paid off. It was great to see some of our fantastic local talent – young and old – performing in the arena in front of their families and friends.
“Stevenage Day is always a worthwhile experience for clubs and charities. Those that I’ve spoken to this year were delighted that so many people turned up to enjoy the day and support them.
“All in all it was a brilliant day!”
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 3 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 4 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 5 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 6 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
- 7 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 8 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 9 In pictures: Stevenage pantomime Aladdin at the Gordon Craig Theatre
- 10 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables