Stevenage cyclists celebrate 139-year anniversary amid the town’s own pageant of pedalling
- Credit: Archant
Stevenage cyclists braved the showers to take part in a Saturday morning ride to mark 139 years of one of the UKs biggest cycling associations and celebrate the town’s summer-long cycling festival.
Riders from the Stevenage & North Herts CTC club which is part of Cycling UK, organised the 16-mile ride beginning at Fairlands Valley Park and finishing at Woolmer Green.
Cycling UK – known for many years as the Cyclists’ Touring Club – was founded in 1878 and Stevenage CTC has been going since 1989.
This year to coincide with Stevenage Cycling Festival which has been running throughout the summer, Stevenage CTC has been organising a series of rides to help get people involved.
On Tuesday afternoons, you can take part in a taster ride from Fairlands Valley Park
In Stevenage. The rides start from Costello’s cafe at 2pm.
Under-16s should bring a responsible adult.
- 1 Apply for free tickets to see new season of The Masked Singer being filmed in Hertfordshire
- 2 Two men from North Herts wanted by police for failing to attend court
- 3 Family's car window smashed in overnight criminal damage
- 4 Tesco and Aldi among supermarkets issuing 'do not eat' warnings
- 5 Rising costs see refill store in Letchworth close for good
- 6 Missing 16-year-old from Letchworth found 'safe and well'
- 7 Baldock Charter Fair returns this week!
- 8 Starry-eyed Letchworth students meet Britain’s first astronaut
- 9 Celebrating 50 years of Stevenage's Fairlands Valley Park
- 10 Man dies following medical episode at Stevenage Cineworld
If you enjoy the taster rides you can join a host of other events including Saturday Starter rides, Wednesday Wanders, Fridays Flings and Sunday excursions.
You can get more details by contacting Penny (07787 816434), Jim (0793 968 7509), Jill (07816 625901) or Tina (01438 235881), by emailing email@example.com or going online to www.stevenagectc.org.uk.
For more about all Stevenage Cycling festival events, visit www.stevenage.gov.uk/52710/180172.