Stevenage couple celebrates golden wedding anniversary
- Credit: Archant
A husband and wife who have been active in the Stevenage community for more than 40 years marked their golden wedding anniversary on Friday.
Colin and Sylvia Evans moved to the town in 1970, having met while living with their parents on a London housing estate for ex-serviceman – after their fathers both fought in World War Two.
Colin worked as an engineer for Stevenage Borough Council, assisting in the design and development of the new town, as well as acting as chairman of Stevenage Shopmobility for several years. Both Colin and Sylvia have been involved in a number of community groups, including several schools and the MS Society.
Daughter Jo Molyneux said: “We’re happy to see them now enjoying their retirement with their three children and seven grandchildren.
“When they first got together, my dad knocked at my mum’s house and she initially pretended that she wasn’t in. It’s funny to think how differently things could have turned out!
You may also want to watch:
“They are affectionately known by their grandchildren as ‘Grandma and Grandad Wobbly’. They have many friends in the area, all of who I know would be happy in raising a toast to the happy couple.”
- 1 Tottenham test for Stevenage after draw for Papa John's Trophy
- 2 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 3 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 4 Stevenage nursing home celebrates Pride
- 5 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 6 79-year-old pens autobiography inspired by move to Hitchin care home
- 7 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 8 Stevenage get big derby clash in first round of Carabao Cup
- 9 Broadband speeds 15x faster than average set to arrive thanks to major investment
- 10 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602